Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and Wild Mushroom Cream SauceFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- 11/4 pounds whole green beans, fresh or frozen shopping list
- 1/2 cup kosher salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 pound onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 11/2 cups wild mushroom Cream Sauce, kept hot shopping list
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced shopping list
- wild mushroom Cream Sauce shopping list
- 2 ounces onion, small dice shopping list
- 1/2 pound assorted fresh wild mushrooms shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 3/4 cup flour shopping list
- 1 quart milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup white wine shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or to taste shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Thaw green beans if frozen.
- Trim and set aside.
- Add salt to 1 gallon cold water and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans all at once, and cook for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Remove from the water and immediately put into ice water.
- Remove beans from ice water as soon as they're cold.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan until almost smoking.
- Add the onions and saute until the onions turn a deep caramelized brown color.
- Add the green beans to the onions, and stir until beans are hot and thoroughly mixed with the onions.
- Transfer to a serving platter, top with hot mushroom sauce, garnish with fresh parsley, and serve.
- Wild Mushroom Sauce:
- Saute the onion and wild mushrooms in butter until soft but not browned.
- Blend in the flour and stir until evenly moist.
- Add the milk in stages, whisking after each addition, until smooth and lump-free.
- Add the wine, thyme and oregano; simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and tabasco.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Makes about 5 cups.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating5 people
Love this recipe! Takes creamed green beans to a whole new level...and the usual Thanksgiving green bean casserole out of sight. Big yum.crabhappychick in Pittsburgh loved it
these are definitely replacing green bean casserole which I think is blech! Thanksgreekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
great tasty recipe love alll the ingredients thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it