Filbert MacaronsFrom jo_jo_ba 5 years ago
How to make it
- Push ground filberts through a sieve with icing sugar (this takes FOREVER! Persevere, though!). Set aside.
- Whip egg whites in a spotlessly clean, dry bowl on medium speed until foamy.
- Increase the speed to high and gradually add granulated sugar. Continue to whip to stiff peaks—the whites should be firm and shiny.
- Fold icing sugar mixture into egg whites until completely incorporated. When small peaks dissolve to a flat surface, stop mixing. (According to Serious Eats, the mixture should be shiny and 'flow like magma.')
- Pipe the batter through a plain, 1cm pastry tube onto parchment paper lined baking sheets into small circles.
- Let macarons sit out 1 hour (this allows skins to form for the "feet").
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Bake macarons for 10 to 11 minutes, using a wooden spoon to keep the oven door slightly ajar.
- Transfer parchment sheet to a cooling rack.
- When cookies are completely cool, carefully remove them from the parchment and sandwich them with filling if desired.