Cold Split Pea Soup with MintFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 2 cups (500 ml) dry green split peas shopping list
- 2 qt (2 L) chicken or vegetable stock, fresh or canned shopping list
- 1 cup (250 ml) coarsely chopped onion shopping list
- 1 rib celery, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) cumin seed shopping list
- 1/8 tsp (1/2 ml) ground cloves shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 cup (250 ml) coarsely chopped fresh mint shopping list
- salt and white pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream (optional) shopping list
- fresh mint for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and pick over the peas.
- Bring the stock to a boil in a large heavy saucepan or soup kettle.
- Add the peas, onion, celery, garlic, cumin seed, cloves, bay leaf, and mint.
- Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 hours, until the peas are soft and easily mashed.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Pass the soup through a fine sieve or food mill, mashing the peas and onion through the strainer and leaving the bulk of the mint and celery behind.
- Chill the soup in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Add the heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: if you adjusted the seasoning prior to refrigerating the soup, you will probably have to add more salt and pepper after it has chilled.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint. .
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating4 people
Mmmmmmmm, midge! Thanks and high 5..
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
looks intersting!herby in Albany loved it
Midge, you are on a roll, girl! Keep on going!elgab89 in Toronto loved it