Chipotle Chicken Tortilla SoupFrom waterlily 6 years ago
- For stock: shopping list
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds) shopping list
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise shopping list
- 3 1/2 quart cold water shopping list
- 25 cilantro stems shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- For finishing the soup shopping list
- 3 whole allspice shopping list
- 1 whole clove shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns shopping list
- 1 medium white onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves shopping list
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons chipotles in adobo, finely chopped, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce shopping list
- 1 cup medium-or short-grain brown rice shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 20 (7-to 8-inch) corn tortillas shopping list
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 (15- to 19-ounces) can black beans, rinsed shopping list
- 2 (7-to 8-ounces) firm-ripe avocados shopping list
- 2 limes, cut into wedges shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- For stock:
- Bring all stock ingredients to a boil with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in an 8-to 10-quart heavy pot, then skim foam.
- Reduce heat and gently simmer, uncovered, skimming foam occasionally, 2 3/4 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board, then pour stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl and discard solids. Reserve
- 1 cup stock and return remainder to cleaned pot.
- Finish soup:
- Toast spices in a dry small skillet (not nonstick) over medium-low heat, shaking skillet occasionally, until fragrant and a shade darker, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer spices to a blender along with onion, garlic, chipotles with adobo sauce, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, and reserved stock.
- Blend until mixture is smooth and spices are ground, about 2 minutes (use caution when blending hot liquids).
- Add purée to stock in pot along with rice and sweet potatoes and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer, covered, until sweet potatoes and rice are tender, about 45 minutes.
- While soup simmers, discard skin and bones from chicken and cut or shred meat into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F with racks in upper and lower thirds. Stack tortillas and cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips, then toss with oil. Spread strips in 1 layer on 2 large baking sheets and season with salt.
- Bake, stirring frequently and switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until deep golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- When rice and sweet potatoes are tender, add chicken and beans to soup and simmer, uncovered, until just heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, quarter avocados lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Season soup with salt and pepper, then serve with lime wedges, chopped cilantro, avocados, and tortilla strips.
The Cookwaterlily Joplin, MO
The Rating4 people
Delicious and healthy, too! Great combination of ingredients! High 5!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
Wow, what a different and delicious sounding soup! Bookmarked to try out, and thanks for posting !juels in Clayton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!