Puerto Rican RiceFrom cookingbringmehappiness 7 years ago
- Ingredients shopping list
- 1 can green pigeon peas (goya kind) shopping list
- 2 cups white rice shopping list
- 2 ounces diced smoked ham...A hand full shopping list
- 1 yellow onion shopping list
- 2 tablespoons corn oil or olive oil...whatever you like to use shopping list
- ½ cup sofrito shopping list
- ¼ cup tomato sauce(goya), that's half the can shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 package of sazon(to give the rice color) shopping list
- 3 bay leafs shopping list
- 1 whole banana leaf(it gaves favor to the rice) shopping list
- 1 dash of adobo(goya with cumin) shopping list
- 1 dash of black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Rinse the rice with water and drain well and set aside.
- 2. In a 4 quart cooking pan, add the oil and smoked ham and the chopped onions simmer over moderate heat for about 3 minutes or into ham and onions are some what cooked/while stirring occasionally
- 3. Add the sofrito,tomato sauce,sazon,salt,black pepper and the bay leaf simmer for another 3 minutes while continuing to stir.
- 4. Turn up the heat to moderate high and add the can of beans. Simmer for 3 minutes while continuing to stir.
- 5.Add the rice and 1 cup of water.
- 6. Mix all the items well. Once the water starts to boil again, reduce the heat to moderate high and cook uncovered until most of the water has evaporated.
- 7. Reduce the heat to low, stir the rice again and put the rice in the middle of the pan in a mount then cover the rice with the banana leaf then cover the top of the pot with aluminum foil and put the lid on.
- 8. Cook for 25 minutes. Stir the rice and flip the top of the rice to the bottom and spread the rice and cover the rice the same way it was continue to cook until done. Sample the rice to see if it is done. It should be soft to chew. Makes approximately 4 servings.
The Cookcookingbringmehappiness Rockford, IL
The Rating3 people
aroz con gandules!!!!Ahhh my abuelo makes this rice,absolutely love it!!!He does it a lil different,but im sure it comes with the same great taste!Awesome puerto rican fooood!!!evelynb in Okeechobee loved it
awsome recipe love rice in any form the ham is a great addition thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!