Fried Chicken Marinated in Ground Hot Pepper VinegarFrom choclytcandy 5 years ago
- seasoning Mix: shopping list
- 1 tbs salt shopping list
- 2 tsp sweet paprika shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder shopping list
- 1 tsp garlic powder shopping list
- 1 tsp gumbo file (file powder) shopping list
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried sweet basil leaves shopping list
- 1/4 tsp white pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp black pepper shopping list
- Other Ingredients: shopping list
- 2 (2 1/2-3 lb fryers) each cut up into 8 pieces shopping list
- 1 pint Ground hot pepper Vinegar (see posted recipe on my page) shopping list
- vegetable oil shopping list
- 3 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the seasoning mix ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl.
- Remove excess fat from the chicken pieces and place chicken in a very large bowl. Sprinkle pieces lightly and evenly on both sides with a total of 1 tablespoon with 1 teaspoon of seasoning mix, patting it in with your hands and coating all the pieces. (Reserve the remaining mix to finish the dish.)
- Pour the pepper vinegar over the chicken working it in with your hands and making sure all the pieces have some ground peppers on them.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours, turning chicken pieces over and stirring mixture at least 4 times so that all pieces soak in the liquid for several hours and the ground peppers are redistributed. This is important to ensure that the chicken will be evenly seasoned. Keep refrigerated until just before ready to fry.
- In a very large skillet or deep fryer, heat oil 3/4 inch deep over high heat to 360 degrees about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pan (cake and loaf pans work well), thoroughly combine the flour with the remaining 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 teaspoon seasoning mix.
- In a large bowl, beat together the milk, and eggs until well blended.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator. Dredge and fry chicken pieces in batches. Just before dredging each batch, check to see if the ground peppers are clumped together; if so rub pieces to distribute peppers evenly. Dredge the chicken (let juice drip off first, but leave bits of ground pepper on) in the seasoned flour, coating thoroughly. Shake off excess flour, drop the pieces, a few at a time, into the milk mixture and let soak a couple of minutes.
- Drain each piece well, then dredge again in the flour and shake off excess flour. Carefully slide each piece of chicken into the hot oil.
- Fry until dark golden brown on both sides and meat is cooked, 6-8 minutes per side. (Fry equal-size pieces together and the skin side down first. Maintain temperature as close to 360 degrees as possible.)
- Let chicken sit uncovered at room temperature for 1 hour before serving. Note: the chicken is at its best about an hour after it's fried.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
The Rating4 people
omg this is fantastic i love all the spices yummmmm
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
I think I found my next marinade recipe.....I pity the poor chicken! :o) YUM! 5!fab44me in Las Vegas loved it
PASS THE BEER PLEASE! AWESMOE POST!txbackyardcook in FORT WORTH loved it
Cookbook Reviews147 members
Comfort Foods769 members
Grandma Junes Kitchen84 members
Good Down Home Southern Food194 members
Anything Goes286 members
We Like It HOT66 members
Cookin With Chicken65 members
GOOD KENTUCKY COOKING43 members
Cast Iron Cooking99 members
Country Cooking With A Twist22 members