Orzo-stuffed PeppersFrom borinda 6 years ago
- 1 28-ounce can of Italian whole tomatoes shopping list
- 2 medium zucchini shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh grated pecorino romano cheese, plus more for garnish shopping list
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup orzo shopping list
- 6 large sweet bell peppers (red and yellow ones) cut off the tops and devein them and if necessary cut a sliver off the bottoms so they will stand up shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil for garnish shopping list
- OPTIONAL: Add in some sausage meat, cooked, to the orzo mixture shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Pour the tomatoes and their juices into a large bowl and break them up with your fingers or a spoon.
- Add the grated zucchini, mint, cheese, olive oil, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, bring the broth to a boil in a saucepan.
- When it boils add the orzo and cook 4 minutes only to be partially cooked.
- Drain the orzo through a sieve and bowl and save the broth.
- Mix the orzo into the bowl with the mixed up vegetables.
- Pour the reserved broth into a 3 quart baking dish.
- Fill each pepper with the zucchini orzo mix and place in the dish with the broth.
- Cover the dish with foil when all are prepared and place in the oven for 45 minutes
- After 45 minutes of baking remove the foil and sprinkle extra cheese atop the peppers and bake another fifteen minutes.
- When done garnish with cut up basil.
The Cookborinda SoCal, CA
The Rating3 people
Sounds delicious. I love Giada and every recipe of hers I've made turned out so good. Thanks for sharing this one, Nancy GF. I'll be trying it out very soon. :)lunasea in Orlando loved it
Love this idea! I always thought orzo and rice looked alike, but never figured out to put orzo in the stuffed peppers! Love the flavors here, too!juels in Clayton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!