Black Beans and RiceFrom chef_irish 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 lb dried black beans shopping list
- 1 large bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 1 hot pepper (optional) shopping list
- tabasco (optional) shopping list
- 4 onions, diced shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 3/4 c celery, diced shopping list
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoon oregano, chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoon basil, chopped shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- pinch ground cloves shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 4 beef boullion cubes shopping list
- 1 lb lean bulk pork sausage shopping list
- 1 lb pork, boneless cubed shopping list
- 1 lb stew beef chunks shopping list
- 1/2 lb ham, smoked (1/2" cubes) shopping list
- 1 1/2 lb smoked link sausage cut into 1" to 2" lengths shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 tablespoon vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- Beans: Wash and look for gravel then soak overnight in a bowl being sure beans are well covered with water. For cooking use a large crock pot.
- Meats: First, brown bulk sausage in a skillet and pour off excess grease. Add other meats and stir to brown. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, celery, and spices. Salt and pepper moderately, taste after cooking several hours and add more if needed.
- Add beans and soak water. If necessary add more water to cover entire ingredients by at least two inches. Stir in four bouillon cubes. Cover and cook on crock pot high for three hours then turn to low for at least six hours.
- If you enjoy hot and spicy foods add the hot pepper (jalapeno, habanero or whatever you like) and Tabasco. If you don't like it hot, then leave them out or serve the Tabasco at the table.
- Serve beans and meat over rice. I have found brown rice to be quite tasty but white rice is fine too. Serve in a soup bowl and top with fresh chopped onion.