Southern Biscuits by Alton BrownFrom poohbearlovesheavymetal 8 years ago
- 2 cups flour, sifted shopping list
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar* shopping list
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda* shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 3 tbs. butter shopping list
- 3 tbs. shortening (Spectrum Organic) shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- *Instead of 2 tsp. cream of tartar and 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda you can use 4 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. baking soda. shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Using your fingers, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. Make a well in the center and pour in buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. It will be very sticky. Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top of dough with flour and gently pat out until about 1 inch thick. Cut out biscuits with 2-inch cutter or glass with same diameter. You will need to dip cutter often to keep from sticking. Place biscuits so they are just barely touching on cookie sheet. Reform scrap dough and cut again. Biscuits from second and third pass will not be as tender. Bake for about 12 minutes until biscuits are tall and brown.
The Cookpoohbearlovesheavymetal Millville, CA
The Rating4 people
awsome buscuits high5 to you and alton brown great post thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Love Alton...saving these to try. Thanks for sharing.sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it
Light, fluffy, good rise.
See Southern Biscuits By Alton Brown for additional mouthfulls.pointsevenout in Athens loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!