Golden Mashed Potatoes With Leeks and Sour CreamFrom chefmeow 9 years ago
- 4 pounds large yukon gold potatoes unpeeled and scrubbed shopping list
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 4 leeks white and light green part finely chopped and rinsed well shopping list
- 1 cup sour cream at room temperature shopping list
- 1 cup milk heated to a simmer shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Cut potatoes into large uniform chunks.
- Put potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover and a generous pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cover partially and cook potatoes stirring once or twice for 40 minutes then drain well.
- Meanwhile in a fry pan over medium heat melt the butter.
- Add leeks then cover and cook stirring once or twice until tender and lightly browned.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Return potatoes to the saucepan and place pan over low heat.
- Transfer potatoes in batches to a ricer and pass through into the saucepan.
- Alternatively using a potato masher mash the potatoes thoroughly.
- Stir in leeks and their buttery juices.
- Add the sour cream and stir well.
- Add the hot milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt and teaspoon pepper and stir vigorously until light and fluffy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and serve while hot.