Orange Rum CakeFrom indicatorsrule1 7 years ago
- 1 cup butter shopping list
- 2 cups sugar, divided use shopping list
- Grated rind of 2 large oranges and one lemon shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans shopping list
- juice of 2 large oranges and 1 lemon shopping list
- 2 Tbsp rum shopping list
How to make it
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar beating until light and fluffy. Add orange and lemon rinds. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift together next 4 ingredients, and add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until smooth. Stir in nuts.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 or 10 inch tube pan. Bake in preheated 350 oven for about 1 hour or until tests done.
- Meanwhile, strain juices into a saucepan. Add remaining 1 cup sugar and rum. When cake is done, remove from oven. Bring mixture to a boil, pour slowly over cake in pan. If cake does not absorb all of the mixture as it is poured, reserve remainder and spoon on later when served.
- Let cake stand for a day or two before serving.