Durban CurryFrom umtali 5 years ago
- 2 cups basmati rice shopping list
- For the chicken curry shopping list
- 2 tbsp oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings shopping list
- 1 sprig curry leaves shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger root shopping list
- 3 tsp curry masala shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 1 tsp ground coriander shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric shopping list
- 1kg skinless chicken breasts cut into strips shopping list
- 3 small Chillies finely chopped (or left whole if you prefer it mild, you fish them out at the end of cooking time) shopping list
- 2 medium tomatoes shopping list
- 200ml chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tsp tomato purée shopping list
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced shopping list
- fresh coriander leaves, to serve shopping list
- For the tomato and mint sambal (Indian salad) shopping list
- 2 ripe firm tomatoes, diced - or 2 carrots grated shopping list
- 2 tsp mint sauce or mint jelly shopping list
- 1 green chilli, finely diced shopping list
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar shopping list
- pinch sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Make the tomato and mint sambal first: mix all the ingredients together, cover and leave to chill for an hour before serving.
- For the chicken curry: heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and curry leaves until the onion is soft and golden brown. Stir in the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for a couple of minutes over a low heat.
- Increase the temperature and add the chicken and chillies, stirring well for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, half the stock and cook for about 10 minutes before adding the tomato purée.
- Add the potatoes and the remaining stock; cover and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove the chillies and curry leaves, adjust the seasoning if necessary and sprinkle with the coriander before serving.
- Serve on a bed of rice with the tomato and mint sambal.
The Cookumtali Bristol, GB
The Rating5 people
My family and I love curry recipes and this one deserves 5+++ forks! Thank you for submitting it to the group.
Cheers!!!lor in Toronto loved it
Exotic and lovely. Thanks.merlin in San Francisco loved it
Amazing!! Im a Durbanite living in Cape Town. This took me right back home. Wow!!Allanp in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!