Southern Maryland Stuffed HamFrom mrjwjohnson 7 years ago
- 7 - 10 lb.) ham (use corned bone-in ham for that authentic Southern Maryland taste) shopping list
- 1 head cabbage shopping list
- 2 lbs. kale shopping list
- 1 lb. onions shopping list
- 1 bunch scallions shopping list
- 1 tbsp. red pepper shopping list
- 2 tbsp. mustard seed shopping list
- 2 tbsp. celery seed shopping list
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce shopping list
- 3 tsp. ground red pepper shopping list
- 2 1/2 tbsp. salt shopping list
- cheesecloth or Old pillow case shopping list
How to make it
- Chop onions and greens.
- Mix seasonings with greens.
- Cut 2 inch slits (pockets) on a 45 degree angle, in the ham. Alternate 3 pockets then 2 pockets, making sure they are not parallel.
- Press seasoned stuffing into slits until they will hold no more.
- Put ham in pillow case or cheesecloth; add left over stuffing, tie closed.
- Put ham in large pot and cover with water. Simmer or boil slowly for 20 minutes per pound or till internal temperature reaches 160°. Reduce cooking time by 1/2 hour when using precooked ham.
- Turn off heat.
- Let ham cool in the water (about 2 hours).
- Remove and drain.
- Chill in refrigerator overnight, in its cloth. Serve cold.
The Cookmrjwjohnson Delmar, MD
The Rating7 people
Boy, does this ever sound so unique and delicious! I love the method of cooking here, as well as the history behind the recipe! An easy 5 from me!juels in Clayton loved it
I have not eaten any of this in so long! Thanks for the memories and thanks for posting a unique recipe!clbacon in Birmingham loved it
This is one of those classic Maryland dishes I never got to try before I left that beautiful state. I think a Spring get-away to the Eastern Shore is going to be in the near future....including to a restaurant that serves this. Any recommendations ...morecrabhappychick in Pittsburgh loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!