IRISH SODA BREADFrom bestcooker 8 years ago
- 3 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup raisins or currants shopping list
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk shopping list
- 2 large eggs, beaten shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled a few minutes shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 9X5 or two 7X3 loaf pans. Line bottom(s) with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in raisins or currants. In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, and butter and mix well. Stir into flour mixture just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). Bake 1 hour (about 45 minutes for smaller loaves) or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan(s) and cool completely on wire rack.
- Slices of the bread taste lovely spread with butter - yum!