New Orleans BeignetsFrom linebb956 6 years ago
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 2 tbsp sugar shopping list
- 3/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- 1 envelope dry yeast shopping list
- 2 tbsp lukewarm water shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups sifted flour shopping list
- fat for deep frying shopping list
- sifted confectioners sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Scald milk and dissolve it in the sugar and salt.
- Add nutmeg.
- Let milk cool to lukewarm and combine with softened yeast in
- lukewarm water.
- Stir in the egg and oil and thoroughly blend
- in flour, a little at a time.
- Cover the bowl lightly with a cloth and let dough rise in a
- warm place until it has doubled in bulk, about 1½ hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a wellfloured pastry board, deflate
- it and knead it gently.
- Roll it out into a rectangle 18" long and 12" wide and cut into 36 pieces, each 3" by 2".
- Cover lightly with a towel and let beignets rise on the
- pastry board for 30 minutes.
- In a fryer or large saucepan, heat fat for deep frying to 375 degrees. Cook the beignets, a few at a time, until they are golden brown. Drain quickly.
- Dust immediately with powdered sugar and serve at once while hot.