Pittsburgh PotatoesFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- 4 cups uncooked white potatoes, diced shopping list
- 1 small onion, minced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- one 4-ounce jar chopped pimentos shopping list
- SAUCE: shopping list
- 4 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 4 tablespoons flour or cornstarch shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 1 cup grated cheese shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs or gluten-free cracker crumbs shopping list
How to make it
- Place the potatoes in a pan, add onion and 1 teaspoon salt, cover with boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes. Drain. Put in a greased baking dish and mix in the pimentos.
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE: Melt butter in a saucepan. Blend in the flour. Cook over low heat until bubbly. Add milk and heat until boiling, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the grated cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is melted and fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour finished sauce over potatoes and sprinkle with cracker crumbs.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- NOTE: Use the cornstarch and gf cracker (or bread) crumbs to make a gluten-free version. JUST as good!
People Who Like This Dish 6
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating4 people
Sounds good, don't think it's a Pittsburgh recipe, You just can't trust any thing from Baltimore.....lol.....:)gagagrits in Irmo loved it
Sounds somewhat like my grandmothers potato casserole and It's delicious!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
spuds and cheese, good as mac and cheese!tazoncaffeine in Manchester loved it