Rum Raisin Apple PieFrom peetabear 5 years ago
- 3 tablespoons dark rum shopping list
- 1/3 cup raisins shopping list
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 6 medium apples, ranging from sweet to tart (2 1/2 lb) ****** shopping list
- pastry dough for a double-crust > pie shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 2 teaspoons milk shopping list
- ********* cooks notes shopping list
- To achieve an ideal balance of tart and sweet apples, we used 2 Golden Delicious or Gala, 2 Winesap or Granny Smith, and 2 McIntosh or Northern Spy (you'll need 6 apples total). shopping list
How to make it
- Bring rum with raisins to a boil in a 1-quart heavy saucepan, then remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- Put oven rack in middle position with a large heavy baking sheet on rack and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Rub together brown sugar, flour, zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt with your fingers in a large bowl until no lumps remain. Peel and core apples, then cut into 1/2-inch-wide wedges and add to sugar mixture, tossing gently to coat. Add raisins with any liquid and toss until combined.
- Roll out larger piece of dough into a 13-inch round (keep remaining piece chilled) on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate (4-cup capacity) and trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Chill shell while rolling out top crust.
- Roll out smaller piece of dough on a lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin into an 11-inch round.
- Spoon filling evenly into shell, then dot top with butter. Brush pastry overhang with some of milk, then cover pie with pastry round. Trim pastry flush with edge of pie plate using kitchen shears, then press edges together and crimp decoratively.
- Lightly brush top of pie with some of remaining milk and sprinkle all over with sanding sugar. Cut 3 steam vents in top crust with a small sharp knife.
- Bake pie on hot baking sheet 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and continue to bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, 45 to 50 minutes more. Cool pie on a rack to warm or room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Cooks' notes: •To achieve an ideal balance of tart and sweet apples, we used 2 Golden Delicious or Gala, 2 Winesap or Granny Smith, and 2 McIntosh or Northern Spy (you'll need 6 apples total).
- •Raisins can be soaked in rum 1 day ahead, cooled completely, and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
- •Pie can be made 8 hours ahead and kept, uncovered, at room temperature
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating6 people
This looks and sounds amazing. Great post and a very high 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
This sounds really wonderful....:)gagagrits in Irmo loved it
Rum, raisins and apples...this has to be good! Bookmarking and will definitely try!juels in Clayton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!