Orange and Chocolate CakeFrom peetabear 8 years ago
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S cocoa shopping list
- 1/2 cup boiling water shopping list
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- 1/4 cup shortening shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, divided shopping list
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons buttermilk or sour milk, divided* shopping list
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract shopping list
- .............................................................................. shopping list
- orangE butterCREAM frosting shopping list
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- 6 cups powdered sugar, divided shopping list
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease three 8- or 9-inch round baking pans; line with wax paper.
- 2. Stir together cocoa and water in small bowl until smooth; set aside. Beat butter, shortening, sugar, salt and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs; beat well. Stir 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda into 1 cup buttermilk; add to butter mixture alternately with flour.
- 3. Measure 1-2/3 cups batter into small bowl; stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon baking soda and 3 tablespoons buttermilk, orange peel and orange extract. Pour into one prepared pan. Stir cocoa mixture into batter; divide evenly between remaining two prepared pans.
- 3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Carefully peel off wax paper. Cool completely.
- 4. Place one chocolate layer on serving plate; spread with ORANGE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING. Top with orange layer; spread with frosting. Top with remaining chocolate layer; frost top and sides of cake. 10 to 12 servings.
- *To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup; use 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 3 tablespoons.
- ORANGE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- Beat butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, orange peel and vanilla in large bowl until creamy. Add remaining powdered sugar alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency. If necessary, add additional milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to get desired spreading consistency. About 3 cups frosting.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating4 people
Yummo! Another beautiful and delicious sounding cake form you! Thanks for this great post!juels in Clayton loved it
Sounds delicious & one I'll be trying out real soon. 5 forksbrianna in loved it
Looks wonderful. High 5!pleclare in Framingham loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!