Light Sweet and Sour MeatballsFrom chefelaine 7 years ago
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 2 tbsp flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp white pepper shopping list
- 1 20-oz can pineapple tidbits shopping list
- 1/2 cup orange juice shopping list
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce shopping list
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 3/4 of the recipe ‘Healthy Meatballs’ (recipe is included here) – baked shopping list
- 4 cups hot, cooked brown rice. shopping list
- ====================================== shopping list
- Ingredients for Healthy Meatballs: shopping list
- (This recipe serves 12, and yields 36 meatballs) shopping list
- 1 egg white shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 slice cracked wheat French bread shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely-shredded carrot shopping list
- 1/4 cup tomato juice shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/8 tsp white pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey breast shopping list
How to make it
- For light & sour:
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion & garlic; cook and stir for 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook until bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Add pineapple tidbits with their liquid, the orange juice, soy sauce, cider vinegar, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 3/4 of the meatballs from the ‘healthy meatballs’ recipe to the sauce. (Remaining meatballs may be frozen for another use)
- Stir gently and bring back to a simmer.
- Simmer 5 to 7 minutes, until meatballs are hot.
- Serve immediately over rice.
- For ‘Healthy Meatballs’:
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients except ground turkey; mix well.
- Now add the turkey, and mix until well combined.
- Shape into 36 meatballs, about 1 inch wide each.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick coating & arrange meatballs about 1 inch apart from each other.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden, and they register 165 on a meat thermometer.
- Drain on wire rack over paper toweling.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating11 people
I always said only Mom could make sweet and sour meatballs the best, but it looks like this may beat her record. PLEASE don't tell her I said that.
She'll kill me!
But it looks real good and five points.kitchenwhizzer in Bradford loved it
love the healthy meatball too high5 thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Sounds yummy Chef! or should I say Master Chef! Sweet and sour is one of my favorites.gapeach55 in Covington loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!