Rum Caramel and Banana Bread PuddingFrom peetabear 5 years ago
- Caramel sauce: shopping list
- 2 cups powdered sugar shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dark rum shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- ...................................................... shopping list
- Pudding: shopping list
- 7 cups 3/4-inch cubes crustless brioche or egg bread (from 1-pound loaf) shopping list
- 6 large eggs shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups half and half shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons dark rum shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 4 medium just-ripe bananas, peeled, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/3-inch pieces shopping list
How to make it
- For caramel sauce:
- Spread powdered sugar evenly in large nonstick skillet. Cook over medium-high heat without stirring until sugar begins to melt and caramelize on bottom (sugar layer will slide when skillet is tilted), then stir until all sugar is melted and deep amber and caramel is smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1 cup cream, rum, and 1/4 teaspoon salt (some clumps will form). Stir until caramel is thick and smooth, about 1 minute. Mix in remaining 1/4 cup cream. Remove from heat and add butter; stir until sauce is thick and smooth, about 1 minute. Strain sauce into small bowl. DO AHEAD: Sauce can be made 1 week ahead. Cool, cover, and chill. Rewarm, stirring over low heat, before using.
- For pudding:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread bread cubes out on rimmed baking sheet. Toast until beginning to feel dry but not hard, about 7 minutes. Cool on sheet. Whisk eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in large bowl to blend. Bring cream and half and half to simmer in medium saucepan. Very gradually whisk cream mixture into egg mixture. Strain custard into medium bowl; mix in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm, about 30 minutes.
- Whisk brown sugar and butter in large skillet over medium-high heat until smooth sauce forms, about 1 minute. Whisk in rum, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add bananas and toss just until coated, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Lightly butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish (8-cup capacity). Scatter 1/3 of bread in dish. Top with half of bananas and half of syrup from skillet. Scatter half of remaining bread over. Top with remaining bananas and syrup from skillet, then remaining bread. Pour custard over. Let pudding stand 30 minutes, occasionally pressing down bread to submerge and to absorb custard.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place dish with pudding in 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Add enough warm water to pan to reach halfway up sides of pudding dish. Cover baking pan with foil. Bake pudding 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until puffed and set in center, about 45 minutes longer. Remove from water bath and let stand 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with warm caramel sauce
People Who Like This Dish 3
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating6 people
this sounds absolutley scrumptious!jett2whit in Union City loved it
delicous rumcarmel bannan bread pudding print try and save thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
I love bread pudding. My family has a chocolate one that we keep secret. Yours looks wonderful!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!