Vietnamese Chicken Meatballs In Gem Lettuce WrapsFrom luisascatering 5 years ago
- 1 pound organic skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (I prefer soy sauce) shopping list
- 3 small shallots, finely chopped (or green onions) shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated shopping list
- 1 stalk of fresh lemongrass, tender white inner bulb only, minced shopping list
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus 1/3 cup leaves for serving shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint, plus 1/3 cup leaves for serving shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 head gem lettuce (or baby butter/red leaf lettuce), leaves separated shopping list
- 1 small seedless cucumber—peeled, and thinly sliced crosswise shopping list
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced shopping list
- Spicy Asian chili sauce (or peanut sauce), for serving shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Position a rack in the top third of the oven. In a food processor, pulse the chicken until coarsely ground; transfer to a bowl. Add the fish sauce/soy, shallots, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, chopped cilantro and mint, cornstarch, salt and pepper and mix with your hands.
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the sugar on a plate. Using slightly moistened hands, roll the chicken mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll the meatballs in the sugar until they are evenly coated. Transfer the meatballs to the prepared baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes, until they are lightly browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, arrange the lettuce, cilantro and mint leaves, cucumber and onion on a platter. Transfer the meatballs to the platter and serve with chili sauce.