Turtle Ice Cream PieFrom peetabear 4 years ago
- Crust: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves or pieces (6 to 7 ounces), toasted, divided shopping list
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 5 whole graham crackers, finely crushed in resealable plastic bag) shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- Sauce and filling: shopping list
- 3/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 pints (4 cups) premium vanilla ice cream, divided shopping list
- Ganache topping: shopping list
- 5 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark corn syrup shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
How to make it
- For crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using on/off turns, finely chop 1 cup pecans in processor; transfer to medium bowl. Mix in graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Drizzle butter over; blend until evenly moistened. Press mixture firmly over bottom and up sides of 9-inch glass pie dish (not on rim).
- Bake crust until golden brown, about 12 minutes (if crust puffs, press firmly back into place). Cool crust completely. Wrap in foil and freeze at least 1 hour. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep frozen.
- For sauce and filling:
- Bring first 3 ingredients to boil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat, whisking until sugar dissolves. Boil caramel 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Turn off heat; whisk in butter, vanilla, and salt. Cool completely.
- Slightly soften 1 cup vanilla ice cream in microwave on low in 10-second intervals. Spread ice cream evenly in frozen pie crust; spread 1/4 cup caramel over. Freeze pie until ice cream and caramel are firm, about 1 hour. Repeat with remaining vanilla ice cream in three 1-cup portions and caramel in two 1/4-cup portions. Freeze pie overnight. Cover and reserve remaining caramel at room temperature.
- For ganache topping:
- Combine chocolate, cream, and corn syrup in medium metal bowl. Place over saucepan of simmering water and whisk until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Cool ganache at room temperature until thick but still pourable, about 30 minutes.
- Pour ganache evenly over frozen pie. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pecans. Freeze until ganache is firm, at least 45 minutes. Drizzle decoratively with 1/4 cup reserved caramel. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and keep frozen. Cover and chill remaining caramel.
- Let pie stand 10 minutes at room temperature. Rewarm remaining caramel, stirring over low heat. Cut pie into wedges and serve with caramel.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating4 people
I know who will love this thanks for posting another great recipe :)aussie_meat_pie in My Kitchen loved it
yes me! I will love it!karlyn255 in Ypsilanti loved it
Oh my gosh Peeta, I'm speechless, this is incrediable. You have my 5, I wish I had a piece of it right now. Soooooooooooo good, thank you for sharing such a great recipe.henrie in Savannah loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!