Fried Cornmeal Onion RingsFrom iwannabachef 6 years ago
How to make it
- Peel Onions and slice them 1/2 inch thick, seperate into rings
- Combine buttermilk, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper in a medium bowl
- Add onion rings, toss well, allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes, or up to three hours.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, 1 tsp salk, 1/2 tsp pepper and set aside
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F
- Line baking sheet with paper towels
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F in a large pot
- lift some onions out of the buttermilk and dredge in flour mixture
- Drop in hot oil and fry for 2 minutes, until golden brown (turning once with tongs)
- Place finished rings on baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, keep warm in the oven while frying the remaining rings.
- Do not keep them in the oven more than a 1/2 hour.
- Serve hot!