Scottish Hot Cross BunsFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- 3 c flour shopping list
- 1 ts salt shopping list
- 1/2 ts Each:allspice, nutmeg, shopping list
- cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 c sugar shopping list
- 1 Stick butter, melted shopping list
- 1 egg beaten shopping list
- 3/4 c Currents or raisins shopping list
- 1/3 c candied citron fruit shopping list
- yeast mixture: shopping list
- 1 tb dry yeast shopping list
- 1 tb sugar shopping list
- 2/3 c Warm milk shopping list
- 1/2 c Warm water shopping list
- 1 c flour shopping list
- Glaze: shopping list
- 2 tb milk shopping list
- 2 tb water shopping list
- 3 tb sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Begin by making the yeast mixture, mixing all ingredients and setting it aside to proof (foam). in a warm place
- In another bowl sift flour, salt, spices and sugar.
- Add fruits and mix well.
- Combine butter and egg and add to yeast mixture.
- Then add to flour mixture.
- Knead dough on floured surface, 8 to 10 minutes or smooth and elastic.
- Add more flour if needed to keep dough from sticking.
- Divide into 12 equal pieces and shape into round buns.
- Place rolls far apart on greased baking sheet.
- Cover lightly and let rise at warm room temperature for 45 minutes or puffed.
- Use a sharp knife carefully to make an X shape cut on surface of dough.
- Baae in a 425 oven for 20 minutes or golden and tested done
- Cool on rack.
- Make glaze by bringing ingredients to a boil in small saucepan for 2 minutes.
- Brush glaze over buns thickly.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating1 people
What's not to like here, midge? Lovely recipe. I give my thanks and my five!
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
Sweet Tooth446 members
Sweet Suite159 members
Pass Down Recipes314 members
All Holidays135 members
Breakfast Craze69 members
Easter Favorites26 members
All Things Vegetarian65 members
International Baking67 members
Scottish Fare19 members
Breads Rolls And Biscuits37 members