Empanadas-Fried Stuffed Dough RecipeFrom sandra47 7 years ago
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 4 tablespoons lard shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk shopping list
- 1/2 cup cold water (more or less, to bring dough to proper consistency) shopping list
How to make it
- Sift the flour with salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Place half of the flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center.
- Place the lard, butter, eggs, and water in the well.
- Use an electric or stand mixer to mix ingredients into a paste, or use your hands.
- Continue to mix, gradually adding more flour until all of the flour is added.
- You may need to add water - slowly and in small quantities-until the dough reaches a soft, pliable consistency, like pie dough.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the filling according to the recipe of the picadillo, guava or cheese
- Lightly flour a work surface.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces (keep the pieces you aren’t using in the refrigerator until you need them); use a floured rolling pin to roll out the dough about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into a large, rough circle. (Don’t worry about making a perfect circle. You will trim the dough in the following steps.)
- Put some filling in the center of the circle and fold over to make a half circle.
- Don’t over-fill!
- Use a pizza wheel to trim away the excess dough and make a nice half- moon shape.
- Seal the edges of the dough with your fingers to make a scalloped edge, you can wet the edges a bit to make sure they are sealed and use a fork to mark the edges.
- Instructions For Pan Frying:
- In a large frying pan, add enough vegetable oil to cover the empanadas completely.
- Heat oil to the frying stage, about 360 to 375 degrees F.
- Fry the empanadas in the oil, turning occasionally until brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot!
- Instructions For Deep-Pan Frying:
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees F.
- Place a single layer of empanadas in the fryer basket, drop in hot oil, and cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Be careful not to overcook. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your deep pan-fryer. Drain on paper towels and serve hot!
The Cooksandra47 Toronto, CA
The Rating5 people
fantastic recipe high5 thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Used to make something close to this long ago. Thank you for sharing. I can not wait to try it! You have my 5!quaziefly in ALL POINTS loved it
great post!midgelet in Eastern loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!