Butter ChickenFrom je_suis_cindy 6 years ago
- 2 T. vegetable oil, divided shopping list
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 T. ginger, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 T. butter shopping list
- 2 t. lemon juice shopping list
- 1 t. of each; garam masala and cumin shopping list
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 c. tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 c. light cream shopping list
- 1/4 c. plain yogurt shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion, garlic and ginger until soft and fragrant.
- Stir in butter, lemon juice and spices. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce, cooking for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in cream and yogurt. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add reserved chicken to sauce and bring sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through.
- This recipe can be made lower fat without sacrificing flavour; simply use half the amounts of oil and butter. I also use light sour cream to replace the cream and yogourt.
- You can adjust the level of heat by increasing or decreasing the quantity of cayenne pepper.
- Although not "authentic", I like to add sliced red and/or green bell peppers to the onion mixture. Sauté until soft and fragrant.
- Serve with naan bread and basmati rice.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookje_suis_cindy Whereever, CA
The Rating5 people
looks & sounds wonderful!jett2whit in Union City loved it
This looks wonderful. Great post!pleclare in Framingham loved it
It looks so delicious!!!!I look forward to making this soon.Thanks for the recipe!ambus in Lahore loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!