Sambal ChickenFrom kidaria 4 years ago
- 2.5 lbs of chicken leg and thigh, chopped into 2 inch pieces shopping list
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp mixed with 4c of water shopping list
- 2 tbsp sugar shopping list
- 3 tbsp of salt shopping list
- 3 tbsp peanut oil shopping list
- 20 g galangal (1.5 inch slice) shopping list
- 1.5 tbsp turmeric shopping list
- 1 tbsp ginger shopping list
- 1.5 tbsp cashews, chopped shopping list
- 1 small shallots, chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic shopping list
- 3 small red Chillies, seeded shopping list
- 1 inch square dried shrimp paste shopping list
- 1 Kaffir leave shopping list
- 1 stalk lemon grass, cleaned and pounded shopping list
How to make it
- Grind the Galangal, turmeric, ginger, cashews, shallots, garlic, chillies, shrimp paste in a mortar and pestle. Can use a food processor if you prefer.
- Heat oil in skillet to saute the ground spices and cook for 5 mins until the aroma comes out.
- Add kaffir leave and lemon grass over medium heat.
- Next add chicken and coat with hot sauce.
- Strained tamarind water and add to the skillet for approximately 7 minutes under cover.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Serve with rice.
The Cookkidaria BC, CA
The Rating6 people
Sounds savoury and sweet. I like these combinations. Is it Thai or Malay? Franfrandee in Burnaby loved it
I had something similar at a Malay/Thai restaurant. It is really delicious - tender, spicy, sweet, sour... Thanks for sharing.buzzbear in New Westminister loved it
This sounds great. I'm keeping this one for future use - there are some ingredients in there I've never used before but I know I can get them at our Chinese suppliers Chung Ying - they do foodstuffs from all over Asia.
Thanks for putting this re...moresitbynellie in Glasgow loved it