Caldo De Res Spanish Beef SoupFrom tvmw 7 years ago
- 2 pounds beef shank, bone-in shopping list
- 1 medium-sized white onion, small dice, shopping list
- plus 1 cup chopped onion, for garnish shopping list
- 1 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon pepper shopping list
- 15 oz can beef broth or water shopping list
- 14 ounce can stewed tomatoes shopping list
- 4 ears corn cut into 1-2 inch thinck slices shopping list
- 4 baking potatoes, like russets, unpeeled large dice shopping list
- 2 chayote, zucchini may be substituted shopping list
- 6 carrots, peeled sliced shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more, for garnish shopping list
- water, to cover shopping list
- 1 head cabbage shopping list
- 1 lime or lemon, cut into wedges shopping list
- corn tortillas, for garnish shopping list
- Sliced jalapeños, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Chop the beef shank into large chunks, keeping some attached to the bone, as bone marrow is an important element of the dish. Sauté the beef chunks with the chopped onions, salt, and pepper. After beef is browned, add the beef broth and the stewed tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer just below boiling point for about one hour, until the beef is “spoon tender.”
- Wash the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables to the soup.
- Chop 1/4 cup of cilantro and add it to the mixture.
- Add water, to cover, the vegetables and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut the head of white cabbage into 1/2 and then into thirds, leaving the stem of the cabbage in. Wedge the cabbage chunks into the mixture and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Serve, making sure each bowl has chunks of all the vegetables. Garnish with a squeeze of lemon or lime.
- Serve with heated corn tortillas.
- Caldo de Res is accompanied by chopped sides of onion and cilantro which may be added according, to taste. Also, chopped jalapeños may be added for the perfect hangover cure :-)
The Cooktvmw Pearland, TX
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!