Alcoholic Ginger DrinkFrom trev 5 years ago
- 250g fresh ginger (approx) shopping list
- 6 limes juiced (Sometimes left out to accentuate the ginger) shopping list
- 100mL liquid glucose per 1L of drink shopping list
- 200mL sugar per 1L of drink shopping list
- vodka shopping list
- .- shopping list
- Handy Equipment:- shopping list
- large jug (approx 5.0L) shopping list
- filtering equipment (not absolutely necessary, although it's impressive to not have any sediment) shopping list
- large fine strainer shopping list
- blender shopping list
How to make it
- Note: before starting, try to keep the volume of water down to a minimum to permit the addition of vodka without over diluting the ginger. Extra water can be added at the end of the precedures.
- Scrape the skin from the ginger and chop into small pieces
- put the ginger into a blender with some water and give it a whiz (a long one)
- pour juice throuh a strainer into large jug
- squeeze the juice through the strainer with the back of a broad spoon until you finish with a kind of paste
- replace the ginger paste back into the blender with another measure of water
- repeat the process until the flavour of the ginger starts to deplete
- add lime juice if you wish
- I usually filter the collected juice throuh a paper filter at this point, but it's not absolutely necessary
- at this point, you shold have about two to three litres
- add sugar and liquid glucose at the rates given above and give it a good blend to ensure the sugars are properly dissolved
- Have a taste of the drink that you now have. The ginger should a little over powering and a little too sweet. This is where you will need to guess how strong your ginger is going to be after the addition of the vodka. Make adjustments as necesary.
- I usually add sufficient vodka to result with 10 - 15% alcohol content
- The following is given as a bit of a guide.
- If 10% alcohol is required, using 40% vodka, measure 250mL and make up to 1litre
- If 10% alcohol is required, using 50% vodka, measure 200mL and make up to 1litre
- use as you might with green ginger wine
- although the purchase of a bottle of vodka makes this an expensive type of drink, it provides a much fuller flavour than commrcial rubbish. Of couse, if you were to make your own vodka, the cost would be a lesser issue.
- anyhow, of course it's nice with a bit of ice
The Cooktrev Bogangar, AU
The Rating6 people
This "5"FORK!!!!! recipe is a
DEFINITE "NERVE-CALMER" !!!
If 'imbibed' after experiencing an earthquake~
Thanks for posting~
~*~mj~*~mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
ok lets party hahahaminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!