Warm Strawberry Crumb CakeFrom midgelet 3 years ago
- FILLING shopping list
- 3 pounds strawberries, hulled and halved (8 cups) shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice shopping list
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 1/2 tablespoons of water shopping list
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped shopping list
- CRUMB TOPPING shopping list
- 1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled shopping list
- cake shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups sugar shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 3/4 cup buttermilk shopping list
How to make it
- Make the Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch slurry and vanilla seeds and let stand until the berries release some of their juices, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the fruit filling into a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish set on a sturdy baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, Make the Crumb Topping: In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients with your fingers until a coarse meal forms; press into small clumps.
- Make the Cake: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and scrape down the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Spoon the batter over the fruit filling, spreading it to the edge.
- Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling, the crumb topping is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Transfer to a rack to cool slightly.
- Serve the crumb cake warm or at room temperature.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating1 people
Yowza, wowza. You have a great hit on your hands with this one Midge. Yummers with a capital Y. You have my 5 forks.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Sweet Tooth445 members
Piece Of Cake373 members
Fruit Desert40 members
Sweet Suite158 members
Dairy Preparations8 members
Perfect For Parties And Potlucks79 members
A Fruity World45 members
SUMMERTIME SCRUMPTIOUS SENSATIONS25 members
Cakes Of Any Type140 members