Ecuadorian Shrimp CocktailFrom ebonyeyedenigma 5 years ago
- 4 1/2 pounds small Shell-on shrimp shopping list
- 1/2 cup ketchup shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice shopping list
- 1/4 cup lightly packed, finely grated fresh horseradish shopping list
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice shopping list
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco or other hot sauce shopping list
- 1 teaspoon lightly packed, finely grated orange zest shopping list
- 3 medium avocados (Look for avocados that are ripe but not mushy. If they are too soft, they will fall apart when you fold them into the shrimp mixture.) shopping list
- 1 cup red onion, small dice shopping list
How to make it
- Fill a large stockpot with water, salt it heavily (it should taste like sea water), and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add shrimp, and poach until shrimp are pink and firm, about 7 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- Peel and devein shrimp; set aside.
- Combine ketchup, orange juice, horseradish, lemon juice, Tabasco, and orange zest in a large bowl and stir until combined.
- Halve avocados lengthwise and remove pits. Peel each half, place it cut side down on a cutting board, and cut into medium dice.
- Fold diced avocado, onion, and poached shrimp into sauce.
- Adjust seasoning as desired, cover, and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- ***A great way to serve the shrimp cocktail is in small cups or bowls with a cocktail fork stuck in for easy eating. This shrimp can be prepared up to 1 day in advance (without the avocado), covered, and kept in the refrigerator. When your guests arrive, simply peel, dice, and sprinkle avocado over the top of the cups and serve.