Candied Lemon PeelsFrom midgelet 7 years ago
How to make it
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the peel from the lemon in vertical strips.
- Try to remove only the yellow zest, avoiding as much of the white pith as possible.
- Save the lemon for another use.
- In a small saucepan, combine the peels with 2 cups cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then drain off the water.
- Again add 2 cups cold water, bring to a boil, and drain.
- Repeat the process a third time, then remove the peels from the pan and set aside.
- Measure 2 cups of the sugar into the pan and add 1 cup water, whisking until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the peels and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the peels are tender and translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the peels and let cool.
- Measure the remaining 1/2 cup sugar into a medium bowl and add the peels.
- Toss to coat.
- Using a fork or your fingers, remove the peels one at time, gently shaking each to remove excess sugar.
- Store in an airtight container.
- The peels will keep for several weeks.
- Use the peels as needed in any recipe that requires candied lemon peels