Summer Peach Pie with Vanilla and CardamomFrom cybershock 6 years ago
- 2/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- 1/2 vanilla bean, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon (scant) ground cardamom shopping list
- 3 3/4 pounds firm but ripe unpeeled peaches, halved, pitted, each half cut into 4 slices (about 10 cups) shopping list
- 2 Best-Ever pie crust dough disks shopping list
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes shopping list
- whipping cream (for glaze) shopping list
- vanilla ice cream shopping list
How to make it
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Combine 2/3 cup sugar and vanilla bean in processor; blend until vanilla bean is very finely minced. Sift vanilla sugar through strainer into large bowl; discard any large bits in strainer. Mix flour and cardamom into vanilla sugar. Add peaches to flour-sugar mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Roll out 1 pie crust disk on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Trim dough overhang to 1/2 inch. Spoon peach mixture into crust; dot with butter. Roll out second pie crust disk on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Drape dough over peach filling; trim overhang to 1 1/2 inches. Fold top and bottom edges under, pressing together to seal. Crimp edges decoratively. Using small sharp knife, cut 2-inch-long X in center of top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush crust lightly with whipping cream; sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Place pie on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until crust is golden, peaches are tender, and juices bubble thickly through cut in top crust, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool until lukewarm, about 2 hours.
- Serve pie lukewarm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.