Wood-Smoked Tri Tip Beef with Sicilian Herb SauceFrom peetabear 7 years ago
- • 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves shopping list
- • 2 garlic cloves, peeled shopping list
- • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano shopping list
- • 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt or coarse sea salt shopping list
- • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice shopping list
- • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- • 1 well-trimmed 2 1/2- to 2 3/4-pound tri-tip beef roast shopping list
- 3 cups oak, mesquite, or hickory wood chips, soaked in water 1 hour and drained shopping list
How to make it
- Blend thyme leaves, garlic cloves, dried oregano, and coarse salt in mini processor until garlic is finely chopped. With processor running, gradually add lemon juice, then olive oil. Season herb sauce to taste with pepper and transferto bowl. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Sprinkle roast generously on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- If using gas grill:
- Wrap wood chips in foil; pierce foil all over with fork. Remove top grill rack, place foil packet directly on burner, and replace grill rack. Place roast over packet and grill uncovered 6 minutes (wood in foil will begin to smoke). Turn roast over. Move to spot on grill where heat is indirect and medium-hot. Cover grill and cook until thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast registers 128°F to 135°F for medium-rare, turning roast occasionally, about 13 minutes.
- If using charcoal grill:
- Sprinkle wood chips over coals and place roast on rack. Cook roast uncovered 7 minutes. Turn roast over. Move roast to spot on grill where heat is indirect and medium-hot. Cover grill and cook until thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast registers 128°F to 135°F for medium-rare, turning roast occasionally, about 13 minutes.
- Transfer roast to platter. Let stand 10 minutes. Thinly slice roast across grain. Serve, passing sauce separately.
People Who Like This Dish 5
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating5 people
Mmmmmm!goblue434 in Anniston loved it
omg !!! ilove tri-tip makes me want to go to the buckhorn to get some yummmmm they make the best tri-tip ive ever tasted !!!! this sounds sooooo good gonna try it
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Love tri-tip and this method is awesome, thanks for the post.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!