Zuppa Di Fagioli - Tuscan White Bean SoupFrom luisascatering 7 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups dried cannellini beans or other white bean (my mom uses canned to save time) shopping list
- 2 Turkish bay leaves shopping list
- 5 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped shopping list
- 3 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or sage or rosemary!) shopping list
- water shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- fresh lemon juice, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Pick over the beans carefully, discarding any stones or other particles. Soak the beans overnight. Drain the next day. Place the beans in a large saucepan of water, bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, skimming any impurities off the top.
- Drains beans and return to pan. Cover with cold water and bring to boil again. Add bay leaves and cook until the beans are tender, 1-2 hours. Remove the bay leaves.
- Puree about 3/4 of the beans in pot with a handheld blender or a food processor, adding a little water if necessary.
- Heat oil in a separate large saucepan. Stir in the onion and cook until softens. Add the carrot and celery and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in the tomatoes, garlic and thyme. Cook for 6-8 minutes more, stirring often.
- Add the tomato mixture to the beans and the bean puree. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve in indivudual soup bowls, sprinkled with a little freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or a lemon slice.
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!