Fried Green TomatoesFrom mermana 7 years ago
How to make it
- Slice tomatoes 1/3" thick.
- Separate ingredients into 2 bowls and 1 large gallon ziplock bag in this manner:
- 2/3 cup flour in bowl one// 3 eggs in bowl two// 1/3 cup flour + 2/3 cup corn + salt + pepper (to your desired taste) in gallon ziplock bag.
- This is a good time to go ahead and heat up your stove. In an iron skillet (not necessary but yields better results) melt butter on medium heat. Be sure it doesn't get too hot or the butter will burn. Start with an amount of butter that allows about 1/4" thick of oil throughout pan.
- Next, take each tomato slice and dip it in the first flour bowl. Then dip it in the egg bowl. Finally, put the slice in the ziplock bag and shake it up until covered in the mix.
- Next, take tomato and place in the heated butter. Allow to get crispy on one side, then flip. This should take anywhere from 2-3 minutes for each side. Be careful not to burn them!!!
- Add a side of ranch for dipping. yummm :)
- Also-- I got really frustrated when I first made this recipe a few years ago because the flour doesn't initially stick to the tomato. Allow the tomatoes to sit for a few minutes; they seem to hold better when this is done. Another tip is to add milk to the mix. I've seen someone go: milk, flour, eggs, flour/cornmeal/spices. It holds well, but I'm lactose intolerant and try to avoid milk (unless it's a white russian.......:)
The Cookmermana Little Rock, AR
The Rating4 people
Wonderful post - these are one of my summertime favorites! High 5 to youvalinkenmore in Malott loved it
This is a personal favorite. Thank you for sharing!
J and Mquaziefly in ALL POINTS loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!