Five Bean Soup MixFrom astrochef 7 years ago
- (Serving size: 1 ½ cups). shopping list
- You Will Need shopping list
- DRIED BEAN MIX shopping list
- 1 lb dried kidney beans shopping list
- 1 lb dried yellow lentils shopping list
- 1 lb green split peas shopping list
- 1 lb dried black beans shopping list
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas shopping list
- spice MIX shopping list
- 5 tsp salt shopping list
- 5 tsp dried basil shopping list
- 5 tsp dried rosemary shopping list
- 5 tsp dried marjoram shopping list
- 2 1/2 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper shopping list
- 5 x bay leaves shopping list
- ADDITIONAL SOUP INGREDIENTS shopping list
- 8 cups of water shopping list
- One x smoked or green ham hock (about ½ pound) shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- One can chopped tomatoes un-drained (14.5-ounce) shopping list
How to make it
- To prepare dried-bean mix, combine first five ingredients in a large bowl.
- Divide the bean mixture into 5 equal portions (about 2 ½ cups each), and place in airtight containers.
- To prepare the spice mix, combine the salt and the next 6 ingredients (salt through bay leaves) in a bowl, divide the spice mix into 5 equal portions, and place in small airtight containers.
- To prepare the soup, sort and wash 1 portion of the dried-bean mix, and place in a large Soup pan or Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours, drain.
- Combine the drained bean mixture, 8 cups water, and the ham hock in a large Soup pan or Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add 1 packet of spice mix, onions, and tomatoes, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 hours. Uncover; cook 1 hour, discard the bay leaf, remove the ham hock from the soup. Then remove the meat from the bone; shred the meat with 2 forks, return the meat to the soup and serve
The Cookastrochef London, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!