Vegetable Bouquet - Diabetic FriendlyFrom spinach1948 4 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- Base – Large head of cabbage shopping list
- The Bouquet: shopping list
- 1 bunch of radishes shopping list
- 1 yellow bell pepper shopping list
- 1 Orange bell pepper shopping list
- 5 medium carrots shopping list
- 2 bunches green onions shopping list
- 2 cups broccoli florets shopping list
- 2 cups cauliflower florets shopping list
- 1 cucumber, sliced into rounds shopping list
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes shopping list
- 5 stalks celery with tops shopping list
- 1 small head endive shopping list
- 1 bunch Chicory shopping list
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, blanched shopping list
- 1 box thin Italian breadsticks shopping list
- Special aids shopping list
- bamboo skewers shopping list
- 1 large basket, 2 inches deep shopping list
How to make it
- Preparing the vegetables:
- 1 Cup off ends of each radish. Slice halfway down on four sides to from petals. Place in bowl of ice water.
- 2 Core bell peppers; cut into vertical leaf-shaped slices. Make tulips from carrots ( Attention to detail )
- 3 Cut off the bottom of the green onion stalks ( about 3 inches ); reserve upper portions. Make close vertical slits, from cut end down to an inch from base. Place in ice water to frill.
- Assembling the bouquet:
- 1 Trim skewers to various lengths. Place leftover green onion stalks over some skewers like a sheath.
- 2 Insert tops of sheathed skewers into the bottom of all the florets, pepper and cucumber slices, radish and carrot flowers, tomatoes, prepared green onions, celery stalks and endive and chicory leave. Insert unsheathed skewers into asparagus spears and bread-sticks.
- 3 Cut cabbage in half; place in the bottom of basket. To form a pleasing rounded bouquet, insert ends of skewers into the cabbage, balancing shapes and colors of vegetables. Place vegetables on shorter skewers along the outer rim of the basket. Now either bring as a gift to a cookout or serve at your own cookout or use as a center piece for the buffet.
- Attention to Detail
- To make carrot tulips, slice toward pointed end of carrot with tip of paring knife to form a petal; do not cut through. Form two more petals around carrot.
- Angle knife tip to separate flower from the rest of carrot. Continue cutting out more tulips from carrots.
- This is a Diabetic Friendly Bouquet.
- NOTE: Important information:
- Make Ahead: Chop and carve the vegetables up to 1 day in advance. Store in a bowl of ice water in the refrigerator.
- Go-Withs: Offer these tasty vegetables with a cheesy herb dip and some crisp sesame crackers. For a main meal, serve bouquet with your favorite soup and some bread.
- Easy Substitutes: If you have trouble finding some of these vegetables, use olives, yellow squash and green peppers.
The Cookspinach1948 Dorchester-Boston, MA
The Rating3 people
Appetizers And Dips266 members
Diabetic And Or Lowcarb119 members
101 A Diabetic Low Carb Place158 members
Unique And Unusual Recipes84 members
Salads Salads And More Salads112 members
Diabetic Friendly Recipes43 members
Quick And Easy25 members
Arts And Crafts Ideas13 members
Suddenly A Salad12 members