Wurst mit SauerkrautFrom bondc 6 years ago
- 8 German sausages (bratwurst, mettwurst, weisswurst, blutwurst, bockwurst, etc.) shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled, halved and sliced into half-moons shopping list
- 8 slices bacon shopping list
- 1 tart apple shopping list
- 1 c. each: apple cider and chicken stock shopping list
- 1 bag or jar sauerkraut (please don't use that nasty metallic canned kraut!) shopping list
- 1 t. caraway seeds shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse the kraut!
- Fry the bacon in a large pan. Remove the bacon and drain it, leaving the drippings in the pan. Over medium heat, cook the onion in the bacon drippings until soft.
- Core and shred the apple and add the shredded apple to the pan, then add the rinsed kraut. Nestle the sausages in the kraut, then add the caraway, cider and stock. Crumble the bacon and add it. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down low, and simmer for an hour, uncovered, turning the sausages from time to time, until the liquid is nearly evaporated.
- Pile the kraut onto a platter, then place the sausages on top and serve with a good, hot mustard, and a good dark rye.