Apple Streusel CakeFrom spinach1948 5 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- For the Streusel: shopping list
- 1 cup light brown sugar shopping list
- 1 cup chopped apples shopping list
- 1 cup sliced almonds, pecans or walnuts ( optional ) shopping list
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon shopping list
- 3 Tbs. margarine or butter, melted shopping list
- For the Cake: shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- ½ cup ( 1 stick ) margarine or butter, softened shopping list
- ½ cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/3 cup orange juice shopping list
- For the Glaze: shopping list
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar shopping list
- 2 ½ tsp. orange juice shopping list
How to make it
- Making the Streusl:
- 1)Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9 or 10-inch tube pan. To prepare streusel, in a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, apples, almonds, flour and cinnamon. Stir in melted margarine or butter.
- Making the Cake:
- 1) In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; mix well. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat margarine or butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition. Add vanilla extract.
- 2) Set mixer to low; alternately beat flour mixture and orange juice into egg mixture. Spoon half of batter into tube pan. Sprinkle with half of streusel.
- 3) Spoon the remaining margarine or butter over the streusel, spreading to make an even layer. Swirl batter with a knife to create a marble pattern.
- 4) Bake for 15 minutes. Remove cake from oven; sprinkle top with remaining streusel. Return cake to the oven; bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Making the Glaze:
- 1) Combine confectioners' sugar and orange juice. Mix well. Turn cake out onto a serving plate; invert so streusel is on top. Drizzle glaze over cake; serve.
- Apple Streusel Muffins:
- Alternate layers of batter and streusel mixture in a greased muffin tin, finishing with a sprinkling of streusel mixture. Rember to shorten the baking time.
- Note: Added Appeal: fresh or dried cranberries, dark or golden raisins, fresh raspberries and even flaked coconut make delicious additions to the streusel mixture in this cake.
- Dessert Idea: in addition to breakfast and coffee breaks, this moist apple cake makes a stunning dessert when served warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Icing tip: Sprinkle the sugar glaze with cinnamon for a special touch.
- Good Idea: Substitute chopped pears for the apples. Or for a double treat, try a combination of the two.
The Cookspinach1948 Dorchester-Boston, MA
The Rating4 people
Every thing is GREAT with Ice Cream..hahahaha
Nice postgrizzlybear in loved it
great post!midgelet in Eastern loved it
luv apples this cake sounds wonderful thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!