Penne with Escarole White Beans and Toasted BreadcrumbsFrom valinkenmore 4 years ago
- 1/2 cup dried plain breadcrumbs shopping list
- 5 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 pound dried whole-wheat penne shopping list
- 5 anchovy fillets, minced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 head escarole, separated into leaves, torn into 2-inch pieces, and washed well (keep leaves wet) shopping list
- 1 can (15.5-ounce) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmessan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Toast breadcrumbs in a dry nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly until well browned. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the oil until crumbs are moistened; transfer crumbs to a small cup and reserve.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions, until al dente (tender yet still firm to the bite).
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil, anchovies, and garlic in a 6-quart pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring until anchovies start to dissolve. Raise heat to medium; stir in wet escarole leaves in batches until incorporated. Cover pot; cook until escarole has wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove cover. Stir in beans, salt, and pepper. Simmer mixture, stirring until most of the water has evaporated.
- Drain pasta in colander; reserve 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Stir pasta into escarole mixture, moistening with some of the reserved cooking water if needed. Serve topped with toasted breadcrumbs and Parmessan.