Slow Roasted Onion SoupFrom hot_it_up 7 years ago
- 6 medium vidalia onions, outer layers removed shopping list
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings or olive oil shopping list
- 2 leeks, white part only, chopped shopping list
- 2 ribs celery, chopped shopping list
- 2 quarts chicken stock or canned broth, low sodium shopping list
- 1 cup sweet sherry or sweet wine shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- salt and white pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 bunch fresh chives for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Wrap each onion separately in aluminum foil and place in a 300° F oven (or in the coals of a fire or grill pit) until onions feel tender all the way through, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Heat drippings in a large pot. Add leek and celery; cook until softened but not browned. Remove onions from foil, quarter and add to pot. Add chicken stock and sherry. Simmer about 45 minutes. Stir in cream and thyme. Remove from heat.
- In batches, puree mixture in a blender until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish each serving with chives. Serve immediately. Makes 12 servings.
The Cookhot_it_up Columbiana, AL
The Rating7 people
Sounds delightful! I will definitely make this in the fall. ^5!!a1patti in Salem loved it
OOH i love this idea. 5 forks and I saved and flagged as unique.
Thanks for a super recipe.
You are such an innovative chef!victoriaregina in USA loved it
All the stuff I like. LOL Keep them coming.californiacook in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!