Individual Cauliflower GratinFrom luisascatering 7 years ago
- 1 (3-pound) head cauliflower, cut into large florets shopping list
- few sprigs of fresh thyme shopping list
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups half & half shopping list
- grated nutmeg, to taste shopping list
- kosher salt & white pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 cup freshly grated gruyere or(Swiss/Emmentaler Cheese) shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano, divided shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the cauliflower and thyme sprigs in a steam basket over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam the cauliflower florets for 10-15 minutes, until tender but still firm. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the half & half into the butter-flour mixture and stir until it comes to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until thickened. Off the heat, add salt, white pepper, nutmeg, the Gruyere, and half the Parmesan.
- Pour a little sauce sauce on the bottom of each small baking dish. Place the drained cauliflower on top and then divide the rest of the sauce evenly on top (you might have a little sauce left over).
- Combine the bread crumbs with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter (melted) and sprinkle over the gratin. Sprinkle with the remaining parmigiano-reggiano.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is browned. Serve hot or at room temperature.