Szechuan Spicy BeefFrom bondc 9 years ago
- 1 lb. shredded beef shopping list
- Marinade: shopping list
- 4 T. dark soy sauce shopping list
- 1 T. dry sherry shopping list
- 1 t. sugar shopping list
- 1/2 c. oil shopping list
- 4 dried chilis (I use 9) shopping list
- 2 c. shredded celery stalks shopping list
- 1/2 c. shredded carrots shopping list
- 1 t. salt shopping list
- 2 t. sesame oil shopping list
- 1 t. szechuan peppercorns, roasted and ground shopping list
How to make it
- Mix the marinade ingredients until the sugar is dissolved. Put the beef in a bowl, add the marinade, and stir until all the beef is coated. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Heat a wok over a high flame until smoking hot. Add 5 T. of the oil and swirl. Stir the beef to separate, then add it to the wok. Over high heat. stir and flip the beef for about five minutes, until all of the liquid has evaporated. Turn the heat down to medium-low and flip the beef about 5 or 6 minutes: The beef will look moist, but change consistency until it seems "chewy." That's when it's done. Drain and reserve, discarding the oil in the wok (you probably want to rinse the wok out and dry it, by the way–it's kind of a mess if you don't).
- Open the kitchen windows and turn on the fan. You've been warned.
- Add the remaining 3 T. oil to the wok, still over medium-low heat (this seems to reduce somewhat the chili fumes), and add the chilis. Flip them around until they are black, turn the heat high, add the vegetables and salt. Flip in the hot oil for about 1 1/2 minutes. Return the beef to the wok, and cook with the vegetables for another 30 seconds or so. Add the peppercorns and sesame oil, mix well, and serve.