Scottish Forfar BridieFrom gullion 5 years ago
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless, lean rump steak or lean minced beef (700g) shopping list
- I like to add some beef sausage to give extra flavour shopping list
- 2 oz suet or butter or margarine (2 tablespoons) shopping list
- 2 finely chopped onions shopping list
- I like to add garlic - 1 tsp. garlic powder or 1or2 garlic cloves, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder shopping list
- 1/4 cup rich beef stock (or 1 cube) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1-1/2 lbs. flaky pastry (home made or packet mix) shopping list
How to make it
- Remove fat or gristle from the meat and pound with a meat hammer or rolling pin or even the edge of a small plate.
- Cut into half inch pieces (1cm).
- Place pieces in a medium bowl (some cooks brown them in the suet first).
- Add salt/pepper, mustard, onion, suet/butter/margarine and stock - mix well.
- Divide the pastry into six equal portions.
- Divide the meat mixture into six equal portions.
- Roll each pastry portion to a six inch circle about quarter inch thick.
- Place a portion of the meat mixture in the centre of the pastry circle.
- Leave an edge of pastry showing all round.
- Brush the outer edge of the pastry circle with water and fold up to the top.
- Crimp the edges together well.
- The crimped edges should be at the top of each bridie.
- Make a small slit in the top to allow the steam to escape.
- Place the bridies on a square baking tray brushed with oil.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at GasMark8/450F/230C for 15 minutes.
- Then reduce the temperature to GasMark4/350F/180C and cook for another 45 minutes.
- Bridies should be golden brown.
- If they are getting too dark, cover with greaseproof paper / foil.
- An authentic Scottish recipe from www.clans.org.uk
The Cookgullion Glasgow, GB
The Rating6 people
Oh, this is a definite 5+++++
Wonderful, WONDERFUL recipe and I am so glad to see you at this recipe group ~ finally.lor in Toronto loved it
I Love this "5"FORK!!!!! recipe~
The combination of Flavors creates a
real 'Taste Treat'~
Thank-you so much for sharing~!
If You are a friend of"Lor" (so special)
I hope that You will consider being my
'Foo...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
More please! I do not have a big appetite but You are making me hungry and that's a good thing.victoriaregina in USA loved it