Pizza Margherita with Whole Wheat CrustFrom staceyfish 9 years ago
- For crust: shopping list
- 1 teaspoon active dried yeast shopping list
- 3/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon honey shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (white whole wheat flour if you can find it), plus more for dusting shopping list
- 1/2 tablespoon wheat gluten shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- For topping: shopping list
- 1 lb very ripe fresh roma (plum) tomatoes shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 16 small fresh basil leaves, or larger ones torn into pieces shopping list
- 2 tablespoons (1/8 cup) extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup tomato puree (optional -- use if your tomatoes lack flavor, like most store-bought do) shopping list
- 1/4 lb fresh mozzarella, sliced thinly shopping list
How to make it
- Pour the yeast into the water in a small bowl, dissolving the yeast well, and stir in the honey. Let it stand for a few minutes and stir again.
- Pour the yeast mixture into a large bowl, stand mixer, or bowl of a food processor and stir in 1/2 cup flour. Cover the bowl and let the mixture stand for 30 minutes. The mixture will be very soupy
- Mix 1 cup of the remaining flour in a bowl with the wheat gluten and salt.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the yeast mixture with the olive oil and sesame seeds. Mix with your hands, stand mixer, or food processor until the dough moves away from the sides of the bowl and a ball forms. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour (up to one tablespoon) a little at a time.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead it for about five minutes. Place it in a bowl, cover, and allow dough to rise until doubled in size, about two hours .
- When the dough has about 30-40 minutes left in its rising, begin the rest of the preparations. First, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. If you are using baking stones, put them in the oven at this point.
- Secondly, begin preparing the topping. Score an X on the bottom of each tomato and drop them into a medium pot of boiling water for 10 seconds, then cool them in a bowl of cold water. Slice off the tops, slip off the skins, and squeeze out the seeds. Finely chop the tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and drain for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the tomatoes to a medium bowl, stir in the basil and olive oil (and tomato puree, if using), and adjust the seasonings.
- If you are making two 8-inch pizzas, divide the dough into two. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface into 8- or 12-inch rounds. If you're using baking stones, place the dough on wooden peels, dusted with cornmeal.
- Spread the tomato mixture over the pizza dough and place the mozzarella slices on top. Bake for 12-15 minutes until crusts and cheese are nicely browned. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.