Pepper-crusted Filet Mignon With Port-Cherry ReductionFrom twill10 7 years ago
- pepper-crusted filet mignon With Port-Cherry Reduction shopping list
- For the steaks: shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided shopping list
- 1/4 cup black peppercorns, cracked shopping list
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt shopping list
- 4 center-cut filet mignon, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick shopping list
- For the Port-Cherry Reduction: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups ruby port shopping list
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries shopping list
- 1 large shallot, finely minced shopping list
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- To prepare the steaks: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 cup olive oil and cracked peppercorns. When small bubbles start to appear, reduce the heat to the lowest level. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes and remove from heat; cool to room temperature. After it cools, add the kosher salt and mix to combine.
- Coat the tops and bottoms of the steaks with pepper mixture. Press the mix into the steaks by covering them with plastic wrap and pressing down. Let the steaks rest at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking.
- For the Port-Cherry Reduction: While steaks rest, combine the port, vinegar, cherries, shallot and thyme in a small saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat until reduced to about 1/2 cup liquid (watch closely; the cherries can make it difficult to judge the quantity of remaining liquid). Cover and remove from the flame; whisk in the butter and season with salt, if needed.
- When steaks are ready, move the rack to the middle of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a heavy skillet over high heat until the oil just starts to smoke. Place the steaks in the pan to cook. Don't move them until a crust has formed. After 3 minutes, turn them over for another 3 minutes. Place skillet in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes for rare, 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare to medium.
- Transfer the steaks to a serving platter and cover loosely with foil to rest for 5 minutes before serving. While the steaks are resting, remove the thyme springs from the reserved Port-Cherry Reduction and reheat the sauce. Serve steak with sauce.
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
The Rating7 people
Great "5"FORK!!!!! Flavors 'going on'
is this recipe~ I Must 'Make & Taste' soon~
Thank-you for sharing~
~*~mj~*~mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Very good!! high 5!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
Yummers!turtle66 in Sacramento loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!