Gluten free Flakey Pie CrustFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 1 1/4 cups white rice flour shopping list
- 1 cup tapioca flour shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening shopping list
- 4 tablespoons cold butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium bowl whisk together the white rice flour, tapioca flour, sugar, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Add the shortening and butter to the flour mix.
- Using your fingertips, a pastry blender, two dinner knives, rub or cut the shortening and butter into the dry ingredients until they are the texture of coarse meal with pea-sized pieces.
- Gradually stir in the milk with a fork to moisten the dry ingredients.
- On a board lightly floured with tapioca flour, form the dough into a ball, then a disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 inch pie plate and set aside.
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of waxed paper into a 12 inch round.
- Remove the waxed paper from the top of the round and invert the pie plate on top of the dough.
- Place your other hand under the waxed paper and turn the round over so that the dough falls into the pan.
- uck the dough into the pan and then peel off the waxed paper.
- Let the overhang drape over the edge of the pie plate, while gently fitting the dough into the pan.
- Using scissors trim the dough to a 1 inch overhang.
- Fold the overhang under evenly.
- Crimp the edges of the pie crust with your thumb and forefinger, or press it with the tines of a fork.
- To make a partially baked crust: using the tines of a fork, evenly poke holes in the bottom and sides to prevent it from rising when prebaked, bake 8 minutes before adding the filling and finishing the baking.
- To make a fully baked crust: using the tines of a fork, evenly poke holes in the bottom and sides of the crust to prevent it from rising when baked.
- Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before filling.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating3 people
Make Your Ingredients222 members
Gluten Free No Wheat240 members
Tips And Advice495 members
101 A Celiac Gluten Free Place170 members
Rice Rice And More Rice60 members
Rice This Way Folks124 members
Anything With NUTs42 members
Pie Lovers Of The World106 members
Pie In The Sky36 members
Gluten Free Baking58 members