French Onion SoupFrom heirloomtomato 7 years ago
- 6-10 sweet onions (depends on their size - enough to fill a large pan) shopping list
- 3 Tbsp butter shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 2 cups white wine or flat champagne (less sweet the better) shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups beef stock shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider shopping list
- bouquet garni (if you want to make your own tied in some cheesecloth: thyme, parsley, bay, etc) shopping list
- Loaf of French bread shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 cup grated gruyere, fontina, or similar cheese shopping list
- splash of cognac (optional - but highly recommended) shopping list
How to make it
- Peel & thinly slice the onions.
- Melt butter over LOW heat in large pan
- Add layer of onions, sprinkle with a little salt, & repeat until all onions are in the pan.
- Let onions sweat down for 15-20 minutes, then stir.
- Then let them go & stir occasionally until the onions are a nice dark color & reduced to about 2 cups. Takes about an hour or so.
- Add wine to onions & turn heat to high, letting wine reduce to syrupy consistency.
- Add broths, cider, & bouquet garni.
- Reduce heat & simmer for 15-20 mins.
- TURN ON BROILER
- Add salt & pepper to taste & cognac at the end of cooking.
- Slice the bread for the soup tops
- Toast one side of the bread & then place the toasted side down on top of the soup in an ovenproof (broiler heat!) bowl.
- Add shredded cheese on top of bread in bowl & broil for 30 seconds - 1 minute (until cheese is bubbly & brown)
The Cookheirloomtomato Minneapolis, MN
The Rating4 people
Sounds wonderful - thanks for the great post!valinkenmore in Malott loved it
This sounds very good cause I love onions so I will be trying this one thanks for the post and five forks to you.
Bakermanroosterbakermanrooster in Wichita loved it
sounds goodravenseyes in Belcamp loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!