Parisian Mussel Soup with BaconFrom merlin 5 years ago
- ½ lb bacon, chopped up (OK. Make it ¾ lb. I won’t tell your cardiologist if you don’t tell mine) shopping list
- 2 onions chopped shopping list
- 5 T. butter, divided shopping list
- 4 lbs. mussels, scrubbed and rinsed shopping list
- 3 c. water shopping list
- 2 c. white wine shopping list
- 3 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 t. ground nutmeg shopping list
- 3 c. milk shopping list
- 10 oz heavy cream or evaporated whole milk shopping list
- 4 T. flour shopping list
- 2 egg yolks shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- Tabasco sauce, optional shopping list
- ¼-1/3 c. Pernod shopping list
- ½ bunch parsley chopped shopping list
- French bread shopping list
How to make it
- After rinsing mussels, discard any that are completely opened.
- In a pot, cook onions and bacon with 1 T. butter until bacon is cooked. Add water, wine, bay leaves and nutmeg. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer. Simmer about 10 minutes until mussels have all opened.
- Combine remaining butter, egg yolks and a bit of the hot broth and mix thoroughly. Add to soup stirring constantly to thicken.
- Add milk and cream and heat through, stirring constantly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add optional Tabasco Sauce to taste. Add Pernod and parsley and stir.
- Serve with French bread.
The Cookmerlin San Francisco, CA
The Rating4 people
I've had mussels on the brain lately and this sounds wonderful :-)luisascatering in San Carlos loved it
Yo Merlin: Made this last Sunday & it was fantastic.I did add a half stalk of sliced celery to increase the veggie component. Great post. RJelgourmand in Apia loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!